resolutions (or lack thereof)

3:40 PM


For the past two months the kids have been watching the Christmas Winnie the Pooh movie non-stop. I pretty much have the entire thing memorized at this point. It's a darling movie and it warms my heart to see that the kids love it just as much as I did when I was young.
Now that we're nearing the end of January (HOW??) this little conversation has been on my mind:

Christopher Robin: Well, almost. It's New Year's Eve. So tonight we're having a party.
Winnie the Pooh: A party?
Christopher Robin: And  we'll make our New Year's resolutions
Winnie the Pooh: Reso-whotions? Bother.
Christopher Robin: Resolutions, Pooh. It's when you promise to do something you've never done, or not do something you used to do. It's a promise to be a better person in the new year.

That's really what it boils down to isn't it? Just to try and be a better person. Whatever that means for each of us. For many it means eating better, exercising more, going to bed earlier, etc. And I've done that. For three weeks... Or three days... I think one of the problems with those kind of resolutions is they're not very fun. They don't feel good. Because let's be honest - no one enjoys eating hamster food. Or treadmill minutes. Or vacuuming. Or not eating chocolate cake.
So this year, in order to up my chances of success, I am choosing resolutions that will actually feel good, that will be enjoyable. With my thirtieth birthday on the horizon and the kids being older and requiring less of me I figured this is as good a year as any to be a little selfish. Because running myself into the ground is beneficial to absolutely no one. And so here is my very concise little list:

- meditate more
- go on more dates
- read more books
- invest in a quality beauty routine
- wear more clothes (instead of pj's or workout clothes)

That's it. I don't need to write it down. I don't need to "track" my progress. I just need to remember to take care of myself every once in a while. I've spent the last four years of my life carrying my babies in my belly or my arms and giving all of myself to them daily. It's time to start replenishing myself. I suppose I better start by getting that root canal...

*image

You Might Also Like

0 notes