vegan chocolate cupcakes!

10:15 AM

Since having to cut out dairy as much as possible because of breastfeeding Teddy (I allow myself an occasional small treat here and there) I have been craving cupcakes or cakes or... frosting like crazy. But six months in I couldn't keep the craving at bay any longer so I took to Pinterest to find a solution to my problem. Well, lo and behold, turns out humans are quite inventive. I found a phenomenal recipe for completely vegan chocolate cupcakes - frosting included!! Bonus points for this recipe being super easy! 
I have to tell you I was holding my breath with the frosting, I really couldn't believe that it would actually taste good. But!! It really is divine! There is a slight hint of avocado but it's oddly good and everything else is pretty much identical to what regular buttercream frosting tastes like. I've made these twice now and everyone is crazy about them! Even Birdie! I hope you like them as much as I do!


cupcakes:
1 c unsweetened almond milk

1 tsp apple cider vinegar

3/4 c granulated sugar

1/3 c canola oil
1 
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

1 c whole-wheat flour

1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder

3/4 tsp baking soda

1/2 tsp baking powder

1/4 tsp sea salt

frosting:
2 ripe avocados

1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder

3 tbsp maple syrup

1/2 tsp vanilla extract


Preheat oven to 350°F. Line a muffin tin with 12 paper or silicone cups.
Whisk together the almond milk and apple cider vinegar, and set aside for a few minutes so the milk curdles. Beat in the sugar, oil, and vanilla until foamy. In a separate bowl, combine flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder, and salt. Slowly beat the dry ingredients into the wet until smooth. Divide the batter evenly between the 12 cupcakes. Bake for 18-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted comes out clean. Remove from the oven, and after a few minutes, move cupcakes to a cooling rack.


While the cupcakes bake, make the frosting. Scoop out the avocado flesh, and place in a food processor. Add the cocoa powder, maple syrup, and vanilla, and puree until smooth.
Frost the cooled cupcakes, and enjoy!


You Might Also Like

1 notes

Let's talk!