a catchall

10:42 AM


Hi! How are you?! I can't believe it's almost been a month since I lasts wrote here, it wasn't my intention. It's been a busy summer but a good one. Lots of traveling, seeing family, lots of firsts and lasts (as in our trip back to the cabin last week). But I finally unpacked the suitcase on Friday and this morning papa bear headed back to work, a class full of brand new ninth graders awaiting him. So it's just the three of us again, back to our routine. And I suppose in a way it feels good. I can feel the promise of autumn hanging in the air and the first yellow leaves have begun to pop up on the sidewalks.
Teddy is down for his first nap of the day and Birdie is busy turning her playroom upside down. The house is fairly quiet save for Belle's snores and the buzzing of insects outside the window, reminding me that summer still has a few more weeks left. Much to my chagrin, honestly, as I am oh so tired of this blistering heat. And shorts and sleeveless shirts. I've always been a sweaters and boots girl.
I have a batch of dough almost ready to be baked into a loaf of bread and overripe bananas that need to be turned into muffins. I'll get to those in a minute. But first, I've been thinking of writing a post about "this" or "that" and I just don't ever seem to get to it so instead I decided to write down anything that's been floating around. So here it is, in no particular order:
- We're currently knee deep in RHOOC, RHONY and House of Cards. They're all so good in their own ways. As far as RHONY I thought the best thing to happen to the show was the return of Bethenny (and it has been a riot to have her back) but then the Countess went ahead and bestowed this gold upon us and well... my year was made. As far as RHOOC, I can't say it's my favorite season but I feel like I grew up with Vicki and Tamra so they will always have my heart. Also, I'm really not a fan of the new girl (what is with her voice???). And last but not least House of Cards has been blowing my mind this season. Especially loving all the episodes directed by Robin Wright.
- I decided that instead of waiting until I have time to read an entire book from beginning to end I'll just read as much as I can from whatever books I'm interested in at the moment and just see what happens. Currently I'm in the middle of: Go Set A Watchman, Hausfrau, After Birth and Skin Cleanse. Have you read any of these? What do you think? I didn't even realize how much I missed Harper Lee's writing until I got into Go Set A Watchman, it's such a pleasure to read that I find myself only reading a page or two before going back and re-reading it just to make sure I soak it all in.
- I've been listening to the following three albums on repeat: Joy Williams Venus, Kacey Musgraves Pageant Material, and Ryn Weaver's The Fool (watch this video, love the song and the video had me crying my eyes out). I wrote a bit about the effect "Venus" had on me back when it was first released on my instagram account. I've loved Kacey for a long time but she really outdid herself with this album. Besides the fact that it's musically brilliant her lyrics are just perfect. Here's a bit from one of my favorite tracks:

"Nobody's perfect, we've all lost and we've all lied

Most of us have cheated, the rest of us have tried

The holiest of holies even slip from time to time

We've all got dirty laundry hangin' on the line
So hoe your own row and raise your own babies

Smoke your own smoke and grow your own daisies

Mend your own fences and own your own crazy

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy
Pourin' salt in my sugar won't make yours any sweeter

Pissin' in my yard ain't gonna make yours any greener

And I wouldn't know about the rocks in your shoes

So I'll just do me and honey you can just do you
So hoe your own row and raise your own babies

Smoke your own smoke and grow your own daisies

Mend your own fences and own your own crazy

Mind your own biscuits and life will be gravy"

- I've decided that it's time I start working with Birdie on learning skills like counting, cutting and have her get the alphabet down pat. I remembered from my days of working at a daycare, that the kids used to love working with these to learn same and different and sorting. I've also purchased these and we love these learning dvd's. Do you have any suggestions of things that you've found to be helpful? She will be three in December!
- So... snapchat. I just can't get on board. Does anyone have any convincing arguments?? It just seems like "ONE MORE THING" and I'm trying to simplify. But I'm getting the impression that conversations are moving over there whether I like it or not. It feels akin to when commenting receded on blogs with the birth of IG. Now I feel like conversations on IG are dying down and I can only assume it's thanks to snapchat. I've always considered myself an old soul so, honestly, it makes me a bit sad that it seems as if people have less and less time for meaningful conversation. Some days it feels like we're just all going to devolve into communicating strictly with emojis. I hope there is always a place for us to express our thoughts, beyond 140 characters [insert granny emoji ;)].
- I've been trying to make a more concerted effort to involve myself in current events. I like to read a few newspapers in the morning to get myself abreast of what is going on in the world. Of course, it's mostly all terrible (save for that monkey kissing the pregnant girl) and I often carry a heavy heart with me for the rest of the day. We donate to charity and volunteer from time to time but I can't shake the feeling that we need to be doing more. Some days I feel satisfied that educating myself and, in turn, my family is enough and yet I wonder... Have you discovered a meaningful way of contributing to our society? I would love to get Birdie involved too as she is almost at the age where she can grasp something like that.  
Well this turned out to be quite lengthy... Honestly, I could write more but I see Teddy thrashing around on the monitor and that usually means he will be up any minute now so I better sign off! As always feel free to email me if you want to chat or if it's easier I'll share this on my IG and we can talk there too!! xx

You Might Also Like

0 notes